Sustainable Environmental Management for Sixaola River Basin
The main objective of this Regional Strategy for the Sustainable Development of the Sixaola River Bi-National Basin (RSDS) is to guarantee a sustainable social and economic development of the Sixaola Basin and to improve the livelihoods of its population. The intended objectives of this GEF operation, in combination with the other measures proposed in the RSDS:
- a) Conservation and sustainable management of biological diversity, as well as equal distribution of the benefits derived from the management of biodiversity resources.
- b) Reduction of emissions and an increase in greenhouse gas storage by the land and aquatic ecosystems.
- c) Conservation and sustainable use of water masses in the binational basin, including reduction in vulnerability and community participation in flood management.
- d) Elimination of the existing threats to the ecosystem, stemming from the surrounding productive zone.
- e) Assist the two countries in providing the necessary economic incentives to ensure the sustainable management of the basin’s water masses.
- f) Integrated community development to strengthen the capacity of the local and indigenous communities living in the buffer zones and areas of influence of the protected areas.
- g) Capacity building to promote conservation and sustainable management of biodiversity resources incorporating indigenous communities.
- h) Promotion of public-private partnerships and the participation of the private sector in the preparation of sustainable development plans.
|No items found...|
|Documents & Resources|
|Project type||Full-Size Project|
|Status||closed (Project Closure)|
|Start Date||12 Sep 2007|
|End Date||09 Jan 2014|
|YES - See results data (2517)|
|Focal Area||Multi Focal Area|
|GEF Allocation to project||USD 3,500,000|
|Total Cost of the project:||USD 19,375,000|
Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
Ms. Michele LeMay Technical advisor in the identification
Mr. Marcelo Pacheco Head
Mr. Bolivar Perez Director
Mr. Alfonso Sanabria Alfaro Project Coordinator