Research position on ocean modelling and reanalysis (CMCC)
The primary purpose for this position is to perform research, development and assessment of reanalysis system currently used at CMCC in the framework of Copernicus Marine Service Mediterranean Forecasting Centre (MED-MFC). Furthermore, the successful candidate will be asked to support transitions of the research to operations activities related to the reanalysis (e.g. production, validation).
The minimum qualifications are:
- PhD in Physics, Physical Oceanography, Applied Mathematics, or related disciplines with a research background in oceanography and/or data assimilation;
- Knowledge of programming languages (i.e. Fortran);
- Good knowledge of software (such as Python, NCO, CDO, MatLab, R, etc.);
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux operating systems and script languages;
- Fluency in English.
The following experiences are highly desirable:
- Experiences with data assimilation techniques for geophysical fields;
- Hands-on experience with ocean numerical modeling, experience with the NEMO modeling platform being an advantage;
- Experience with operational forecasting systems, from input data quality control to evaluation of analyses and reanalysis quality;
- Experience of parallel programming on supercomputers and knowledge of the NetCDF libraries;
- Good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
For more information: CMCC Website