Portfolio Bulletin Issue 2020.01
Dear IW Portfolio, globally we've been forced to take a step back from our usual routines. It has given the IW:LEARN team and partners a chance to reflect on how we can strengthen our service to the GEF IW Portfolio and what changes will be needed as we enter into a new order. Happily, we have been presented the opportunity by the Global Environment Facility to develop a 5th phase of this project. This phase will maintain the basic IW:LEARN service line to the portfolio, with support for knowledge exchange, training, data and information management and programmatic guidance. It will also have components supporting projects and partners to respond to the current GEF replenishment strategy. As we enter into the sunset of the current phase and the dawn of the next phase we want to assure you that our communication and relationship with the global portfolio remain consistent. We continue to welcome news, results and announcement from all GEF IW projects and partners. Please continue to share stories on your results, best practices and helpful technical information with us for dissemination among our global community.
GEF IW PORTFOLIO NEWS
[GEF-UNDP/GWP-Med/UNECE Drin River Basin] Ministers and High-level representatives of the five Riparians endorse the Strategic Action Programme (SAP) for the Drin River Basin in South East Europe.
[GEF-UNDP/UN Environment IW:LEARN] The concept of Benefit Sharing represents an alternative approach to the conventional way of negotiation. GEF IW:LEARN partnered with the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) to deliver programmatic support to the GEF International Waters portfolio to address benefit sharing in their project implementation.
[GEF-UNDP/FSP Global Marine Commodities] After two years of implementation, the Global Marine Commodities Project shares some of its compelling results, including the release of two new publications - one that describes its unique approach in engaging various public and private sector actors along the seafood supply chain to drive sustainability into 9 distinct fisheries in Asia and Latin America, and another providing an overview on the impact of COVID-19 in some T75 fisheries that are key for global seafood production and supply.
[GEF-FAO Coastal Fisheries Initiative] The magnitude of mangrove forests in Côte d'Ivoire is about the size of 18 000 football fields, back to back. But once upon a time Côte d'Ivoire used to have twice as many mangroves. This story tells how FAO and partners work to restore mangroves through the global GEF Coastal Fisheries Initiative.
[Various GEF IW projects] Featuring some of the projects managing water and climate change
GEF IW:LEARN Partner Updates
[UNEP] In response to the COVID-19 crisis, an unprecedented coalition has come together to launch “Earth School,” which provides free, high-quality educational content to help students, parents and teachers around the world who are currently at home.
[IOC-UNESCO] When we think of public health risks, we may not think of the ocean as a factor. Increasingly, however, the health of the ocean is intimately tied to our health. Some may be surprised to read that organisms discovered at extreme depths are used to speed up the detection of COVID-19, and probably, even more to learn that, it is the environment that could give a solution to humankind.
WEBINARS, CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS AND OTHER OPPORTUNITIES
From the GEF IW Portfolio
- [GEF LME:LEARN and Partners] Global Ocean Series: Linking LMEs to Local Science and Management for Sustainable Development (Online session 1: 20 May, 0800–1000 EDT)
- [GEF-UNDP ATSEA2] The PEMSEA Resource Facility seeks highly qualified individuals/consultants to fill up two posts, namely International Consultant for Marine & Land-Based Pollution Assessment (Deadline: 15 June) and International Consultant for developing an EAFM Plan of Red Snapper for the Arafura and Timor Sea Region (Deadline: 20 June) for the Implementation of the Arafura and Timor Seas Regional and National Strategic Action Programs (ATSEA2) project.
- [GEF-FAO CFI] New e-learning course on assessing performance of coastal fisheries - Fisheries Performance Assessment Toolkit (FPAT)
- [GEF] E-course on the Introduction to the Global Environment Facility and Open online course on gender and the environment
From GEF IW:LEARN Partners
- [MSP Global] Online seminar on Marine Spatial Planning and the Blue Economy (Arabic) (27 May, 1600-1730 CET)
- [International River Foundation] RiverTalk: Rivers for Future Generations (27 May, 1000–1100 AEST)
- [WIOMSA] The WIOMSA Magazine: Call for articles for special issue on coastal ecosystem restoration (Deadline: 12 June)
- [GWP] Still 17 days left to submit your Water Changemaker story!
(Deadline: 07 June)