Huai River Basin Marine Pollution Reduction
The objective of the project is to demonstrate innovative and cost-effective pollution reduction practices in Dongying City in order to reduce discharge of land-based nutrient and pollution load to the Bohai Sea.
Dongying City is located in the southwestern bank of the Bohai Sea and established on one of PR China's major oil fields. Dongying has been the central city of the Yellow River delta with a total area of about 7,923 square kilometers, a total Bohai Sea coastline of over 350 kilometers, and a total population of about 1.8 million. Major pollution in Dongying is derived from both urban and rural areas and point and non-point sources suchas industries, household wastes, livestock wastes, chemical fertilizer and farm pesticides. Shandong Province, with the longest coastlines of the Bohai Sea and the Yellow Sea within the Huai River Basin, is contributing more nutrients and pollutants to these seas than any of the three other provinces within the basin, namely, Jiangsu, Anhui amd Henan.
- Wetland construction, which will include (a) construction of a wetland a the Shaying (2.2 square kilometers) as a secondary treatment of the existing Shaying Waste Water Plant; (b) construction of a wetland at the Dongbalu (10 square kilometers) as a reinforced tertiary treatment for nutrient and pollution reduction; and (c) construction of a Huai River Basin environmental education and training center located in Guangli River Watershed
- Innovative nutrient and pollution control practice demonstration, which will support (a) optimization of operations of five key water gates in the Guangli River Watershed including support to three key existing water gates and construction of two water gates at the intake and discharge points of the new Dongbalu wetland; (b) establishment of Farmer Environmental Protection Associates in 11 townships with rural residents and agricultural activities within Guangli River Watershed as a vehicle to reduce rural pollution i.e. rural household wastes, livestock wastes, wastes from application chemical fertilizer and pesticides and (c) support to construction of the Xichengnan waste wastewater treatment plant as part of the complete urban point-source pollution treatment network
- Project development, which would support (a) preparation of an action plan for integrated water system management and pollution control in Guangli River Watershed; and (b) development of a Huai River Basin-wide replication strategy for comprehensive pollution control
- Project monitoring and capacity building, which would support (a) establishment of a monitoring and evaluation system for implementation of project activities; (b) capacity building and institutional development for key implementing agencies involved in project implementation and for project beneficiaries; (c) workshops for replication strategy development, and (d) close collaboration with PEMSEA, who is responsible for the Regional Component of the Strategic Partnership
- Project management, which would support project management of government agencies involced in project implmentation at Dongying City, Shandong Province and Huai River Basin Commission.
Da Yunhe R.B. & Grand Canal district between (Yellow & Yangtee)
|No items found...|
|Documents & Resources|
|Project type||Full-Size Project|
|Start Date||23 Feb 2012|
|End Date||31 Dec 2015|
|Focal Area||International Waters|
|GEF Allocation to project||5,000,000 USD|
|Total Cost of the project:||37,828,000.00 USD|
International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (WB)
Ivan Zavadsky Executive Secretary