Integrated and Sustainable Management of Transboundary Water Resources in the Amazon River Basin Considering Climate Variability and Change
Objective of the project is to o strengthen, in a coordinated and coherent manner, the institutional framework for planning and executing activities for the protection and sustainable management of the water resources of the Amazon River Basin, endeavoring to realize a shared vision of sustainable development in the region based upon the protection and integrated management of transboundary water resources and adaptation to climatic changes. Specific Objectives To this end, the Basin countries have agreed to:
- i.Make progress toward the integrated management of water resources, and adaptation to climatic variation and change, through more effective decision-making by the relevant national institutions, based upon the forecast impacts of climatic variations and changes on water resources.
- ii.Strengthen the shared strategic vision for the Basin as the basis for integrated water resource planning and management, adaptation to climatic change, and sustainable development.
- iii.Strengthen the technical-institutional structure for the identification of water resources at risk of environmental impairment (critical areas or “hot spots”) in order to recommend measures, plans, and projects to protect and/or rehabilitate them and, in association with in the responsible institutions in each country, initiate remedial measures.
- iv.Generate more knowledge about the types and sources of water pollution in the Basin, monitor them, and attack their root causes.
- v.Generate more knowledge about the effects of droughts, monitor them, and mitigate extreme events in vulnerable regions.
- vi.Make progress toward legal harmonization, and development of economic instruments, technical and institutional capacity, and public participation in the management of water resources in the Basin.
- vii.Strengthen the TCA Secretariat as an effective coordination agency for countries in the Basin in the short-, medium-, and long-terms
|Documents & Resources|
|Project type||Full-Size Project|
|Status||active (Under Implementation)|
|Start Date||16 Jul 2010|
|YES - See results data (2364)|
|GEF Allocation to project||USD 7,000,000|
|Total Cost of the project:||USD 50,780,090|
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Ms. Maria Apostolova International Waters Specialist
Mr. Norbert Fenzl Regional Coordinator-GEF Amazon Project: Water Resources and Climate Change
Ms. Maria Eugenia Corvalan Gallegos Communications Officer
Ms. Isabelle Vanderbeck GEF IW Portfolio Manager