Russian Federation - Support to the National Programme of Action for the Protection of the Arctic Marine Environment
The objective of the NPA-Arctic Project is to develop and establish a sustainable framework to reduce environmental degradation of the Russian Arctic from land-based activities on a systemic basis by implementation of a Strategic Action Program (SAP) The SAP is being developed to comply with obligations of the Russian Federation under international conventions and agreements taking into account decisions and programmes of the Arctic Council. As such, it would create conditions, which will allow for capital investments to flow in the Russian Arctic in order to ensure long term protection of coastal and marine environment of the Arctic and to address main root causes of trans-boundary pollution in the Russian Arctic.
The project is implemented by UNEP and executed by the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation (Mineconomrazvitiya of Russia). The Project is also supported by bi-lateral donor participation from the governments of Canada, the United States, Italy, and Iceland. Nordic Environmental Finance Corporation (NEFCO) is Partner Agency.
The Project comprises four principal components:
- 1. Preparation and adoption of a Strategic Action Programme (SAP);
- 2. Completion of a set of Pre-Investment Studies (PINS);
- 3. Development and implementation of Environmental Protection System (EPS), embodying legislative, administrative, institutional and technical capacity improvements consistent with the SAP;
- 4. Three demonstrations projects on:
- Indigenous Environmental Co-management;
- Remediation of the Environment through the Use of Brown Algae; and
- Environmental Remediation of Two Decommissioned Military Bases
Several minor pilot projects have been implemented also under the demo projects component.
|Documents & Resources|
|Project type||Full-Size Project|
|Status||closed (Project Closure)|
|Start Date||20 Aug 2003|
|End Date||28 Feb 2011|
|YES - See results data (1164)|
|Focal Area||International Waters|
|GEF Allocation to project||USD 5,885,000|
|Total Cost of the project:||USD 18,369,000|
UN Environment (UNEP)
PhD Sergei Tambiev Deputy project Manager