Activity D2: Southeastern Europe/Mediterranean
OTHER PARTNERS: Germany (MoE, GTZ, MfE), Greece (MoFA), MAP and other GEF IW projects
Provide face-to-face and virtual training, knowledge sharing and capacity-building and cooperation between IW stakeholders in Southeastern Europe and the Mediterranean Sea
A series of roundtables for senior officials and experts will serve as the coagulant for a regional TWM information exchange network launched via Internet to foster a regional IWRM community of practice in the Southern Mediterranean in support of the Petersberg Declaration and Athens Process. Based on the long term World Bank involvement in transboundary freshwater, coastal and marine resources management activities in Southeastern Europe and the Mediterranean, this activity supports and combines the efforts of the Petersberg Process (jointly coordinated by the Government of Germany and the World Bank) and the Athens Declaration Process (jointly coordinated by the Government of Greece and the World Bank).
D2.1: Three 3-day roundtables for senior officials engaged in Southeastern European TWM by 2008.
D2.2: Internet-based targeted information exchange network on Transboundary Waters (for Southeastern Europe Transboundary River Basin and Lakes Management Program) launched by 2005, sustained through regional partners by 2006.
PROGRESS TO DATE
|1||One roundtable for senior officials and experts; regional TWM information exchange network launched via Internet||Completed - International Workshop on Protection and Sustainable Use of Transboundary Waters in South-Eastern Europe held in Berlin, 5-7 December 2005, Network launched (see link below)|
|2||One roundtables for senior officials and experts; network sustained via regional partners||Completed - Roundtable workshop on transboundary lake management and related IWRM issues held in October 2006 - Lake Ohrid, Support also to Multipurpose Management of Sava River Basin Workshop - November 2006 in Zagreb|
|3||One roundtable for senior officials and experts; Network and learning products accessible via IW-IMS||Roundtable workshop on transboundary groundwater management and related IWRM issues to be held in Novmeber 2007 - Slovenia, 5th Roundtable on Public Participation in the Mesta-Nestos River Basin conducted in April 2008 in Sofia|
|4||8 capacity building documents prepared, one side event at an international conference, three electronic dialogues conducted|
1) D2 Athens-Petersberg activities presented in Workshop "Transboundary Water Resources Management in South Eastern Europe: The role of the EU Water Framework Directive and the UNECE Water Convention" held in Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro, 2-3 March 2006, organised jointly by the Italian Ministry for the Environment and Territory and UNECE, in cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management and the Ministry of Science and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Serbia; joint publication on TWRM in South Eastern Europe (SEE) in view of the Ministerial Conference to be held in Belgrade in September or October 2007 will be produced with UNECE.
2) D2 Athens-Petersberg activities will be presented on 3 May, in Thessaloniki, during the Meeting of the Environment Departments of International Development Banks.
3) D2 Athens-Petersberg activities will be presented in the BALWOIS Conference taking place in Lake Ohrid, 23-26 May.
4) Workshop on Multi-Purpose Use of Transboundary Waters is planned for September or October 2006, in the Sava River, with the support of the German Ministry for Environment.
1st Roundtable/Workshop: Berlin Roundtable Site (Including associated documents)
All additional materials available at TWIEN-SEE website below
- Principal Website: Transboundary Waters Information Exchange Network for South Eastern Europe
- Activity D2: Information and relevant documents. http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/iwlearn.htm
- Athens Declaration Process: Information and relevant documents (the Athens Declaration is available in English, Francaise, Russkiy, Bosanski/Hrvatski/Srpski, Deutsch, Romanianand Italiano). http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/athensdeclaration.htm
- Petersberg Phase II Process: Information and relevant documents. http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/peterprocess.htm
- Petersberg Phase II/Athens Declaration Process: http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/athpetprocess.htm. Download the Concept Paper:http://archive.iwlearn.net/watersee.net/watersee.net/files/Petersberg%20Phase%20II%20-%20%20Concept%20Paper.zip
- Roundtable on Protection and Sustainable Use of Transboundary Waters in South-Eastern Europe Berlin, 5th to 7th December 2005: Information and relevant documents http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/anouncement.htm
- Inventory of Internationally Shared Surface Water Bodies in the Balkan Region. Characteristics and State of Policies of River Basins. : http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/map.htm
- Inventory of Internationally Shared Aquifers in the Balkan Region. Characteristics and State of Policies of Aquifers.: http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/aboutaquifers.htm
- Water resources management in South Eastern Europe Volume I, “Issues and Directions”. World Bank, 2003. (English, Cyrillic, Bosanski/Hrvatski/Srpski). And water resources management in South Eastern Europe Volume II, “Country Water Notes and Water Fact Sheets”. World Bank, 2003. (English, Cyrillic, Bosanski/Hrvatski/Srpski)
- Assessment on the Transboundary Water Resources Management in the Southeastern Europe /General Capacity Building Paper: http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/files/Draft_General_Background_Capacity_Building_paper.rar
- Financial aspects of water supply and sanitation in transboundary waters of South-Eastern Europe / Thematic Capacity Building Material 1: http://www.watersee.net/e-forum/files/Financial%20Aspect%20of%20Water%20Investment%20SEE.zip