United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UNWOMEN)
UNWOMEN was created to champion for women and girls amidst current scenarios where they lack access to decent work, face occupational segregation and gender wage gaps, often denied access to basic education and health care, suffer violence and discrimination, and under-represented in political and economic decision-making processes.
UNWOMEN directs UN activities on gender-related issues. It works for the:
- elimination of discrimination against women and girls;
- empowerment of women; and
- achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UNWOMEN serves as a platform for governments and civil society actors to debate and seek agreement on global gender equality norms and standards at the national, regional and global levels. It provides impetus for adopting and enhancing laws, policies and programmes that bring about equality between women and men.
- Fund for Gender Equality
- Initiatives for Economic Empowerment of Rural Women
- Women's Empowerment Principles
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women
- A Million Voices: The World We Want
- Women Voice, Access and Safety in Sustainable Urban Development
New York, NY 10017
|+1 646 781-4400
+1 646 781-4444