United Nations Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner
The United Nations Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner monitors State Parties' compliance with international human rights treaties, promotes the right to development, coordinates United Nations human rights education and public information activities, and strengthens human rights across the United Nations system. It ensures the enforcement of universally recognized human rights norms, including through promoting both the universal ratification and implementation of the major human rights treaties and respect for the rule of law.
UNOHCHR works closely in partnership with Civil Society actors, including NGOs, in developing and implementing tools that protect human rights.
UNOHCHR has appointed a Special Rapporteur on the Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation who carries out thematic research, undertakes country missions, collects good practices, and works with development practitioners on the implementation of the rights to water and sanitation. It affirms the recognition that this right is derived from the right to an adequate standard of living.
- The Right to Water and Sanitation Toolkit
- Special Rapporteur on the Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation
- The Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Obstacle to Universal Access to Water and Sanitation
- Special Rapporteur on Toxic Wastes
- Ocean-grabbing as Serious Threat
- Human Rights and Climate Change
- Water-related International Standards and Protocols
52 rue des Pâquis
CH-1201 Geneva, Switzerland
|+41 22 917 9220