Sustainable Groundwater Management in SADC Member States
The development objective of the Sustainable Groundwater Management in Southern African Development Community (SADC) Member States Project for Africa is to support sustainable management of groundwater at national and transboundary levels across SADC member states. Negative impacts include: air and water pollution, noise, waste, soil erosion, and health hazards.
Mitigation measures include:
(1) implementing training and awareness program on occupational and public safety covering construction and operational phases of the project;
(2) planting vegetation on the slopes (local species) to avoid soil erosion during increased rainfall season;
(3) monitoring to ensure there are no unnecessary human activities encouraged at the dams and ponds;
(4) ensuring appropriate use of packing material;
(5) avoiding drilling in biologically sensitive areas; and
(6) using existing roads for access, where possible.